Scientific and Professional Service
- Zillner, S., Bisset, D., García Robles, A., Hahn, T., Lafrenz, R., Liepert, B. and Curry, E.. Eds. (2019). “Strategic Research, Innovation, & Deployment Agenda for an AI PPP: A Focal Point for Collaboration on AI, Data and Robotics”. BDVA-euRobotics. 2019.
- Bisset, D., Curry, E., García-Robles, A., Hahn, T., Lafrenz, R., Liepert, B., & Zillner, S. Eds. (2019). “Joint Vision Paper for an Artificial Intelligence Public Private Partnership (AI PPP) BDVA – euRobotics”. BDVA-euRobotics. 2019.
- Zillner, S., Gomez, J. A., García Robles, A., & Curry, E. Eds. “Data-Driven Artificial Intelligence for European Economic Competitiveness and Societal Progress: BDVA Position Statement”. BDVA. 2018.
- Senior Editor on the BDVA AI paper “Data-Driven Artificial Intelligence for European Economic Competitiveness and Societal Progress” which was referenced in the European Commissions Communication on the Coordinated Plan on Artificial Intelligence, specifically highlighting the need for a European AI Public Private Partnership.
- Curry, E., Zillner, S., & García-Robles, A. Eds. “Future Challenges for European Leadership in the Global Data Economy and Data-Driven Society: Input to Framework Programme 9”. BDVA. 2018.
- Lead author on the BDVA position paper for FP 9 which was referenced by the European Parliament Policy Department for Economic, Scientific and Quality of Life Policies in their “European Artificial Intelligence (AI) leadership, the path for an integrated vision” report. This report was requested by the Industry, Research and Energy ITRE Committee to feed into the general debate on how Europe could seize the opportunity of progress made in AI.
- M. Cavanillas, E. Curry, and W. Wahlster, (Eds.), “New Horizons for a Data-Driven Economy: A Roadmap for Usage and Exploitation of Big Data in Europe”. Springer International Publishing, 2016.
- Policy influence for Uk Government Department of Transport https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/639027/big-data-transport-scoping-study.pdf
- Zillner, E. Curry, A. Metzger, & S. Auer, Eds., “European Big Data Value Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda”, BDVA, 2015.
- Member of the core team for the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) on Big Data Value. The SRIA resulted in a proposal for a contractual Public Private Partnership (cPPP) for Big Data Value.
- Primary contributor team for the cPPP proposal on Big Data Value. The proposal details a H2020 work programme on Big Data for the period 2016-to-2020 with a budget of €1.068B.
- Data Ecosystem Expert for “Workshop on Digitalisation of Manufacturing”, Strategic Policy Division, Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Oct 2017.
- “Realising the Digital Economy – Enterprise Opportunities”, roundtable discussion jointly co-hosted by the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, May 2017.
- “European Big Data Ecosystem” to Roundtable on Industrial Data Platforms by invitation Gunther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, Brussels, 17th Feb 2016.
- Representative for Ireland on behalf of Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation at “Member States’ workshop on Data Economy” hosted by European Commission, Luxembourg, November 2015.
- “Irelands Role in Driving the Big Data PPP”, Big Data Task Force Meeting, Strategic Policy Unit, Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Nov 2014.
- 2014-present, Board of Directors of Big Data Value Association (BDVA). The BDVA represents the ‘private’ side of the Public Private Partnership on Big Data with the European Commission with a budget of €1.068B.
I regularly serve as chair, senior PC member or PC member of major international conferences.
- Program Co-Chair, 29th ACM International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2020)
- General Chair, 27th Irish Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, (AICS 2019)
- Scientific committee for the Conference on Language, Data and Knowledge (LDK2017, LDK2019)
- Irish Liaison Chair, European Data Forum 2016 (EDF 2016)
- Scientific Committee, Summer School on Big Data Analysis in Earth Sciences (EarthBiAs 2014)
- Organizing Committee of 23rd Irish Environmental Researchers’ Colloquium (ENVIRON 2013)
- Co-Chair, 6th Annual Irish Human Computer Interaction Conference (IHCI 2012)
- Track Co-Chair, Applied Data Science, European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases 2018 (ECML-PKDD 2018)
- Track Co-Chair, Real-Time Big Data Analytics, IEEE Big Data Congress (2018)
- Track Co-Chair, Big Data Analytics, 44th Euromicro Conference on Software Engineering and Advanced Applications (SEAA 2018)
- Track Co-Chair with Sami Bhiri, Service Engineering for the Internet of Things, 13th IEEE International Conference on Advanced and Trusted Computing (ATC2016), Toulouse, France
- Track Co-Chair, Nature’s Inspired Multi-Agent Collaborative Systems, 5th IEEE INCoS: International Conference on Intelligent Networking and Collaborative Systems
- Cloud Computing Track Chair, 21st International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2012)
- Work-in-progress chair, 8th International Middleware Conference (Middleware 2007)
- Panel Organiser, “Towards an Ecosystem for Artificial Intelligence Value-Creation”, BDV PPP Summit, Riga, June 2019
- Co-Organizer, Session Chair, Big Data Public Private Forum Project Workshop, Heidelberg, Germany, September 2014
- Co-Organizer, Session Chair, Big Data Public Private Forum Project Workshop, Heidelberg, Germany, September 2014
- Session Chair, Big Data Value Innovation for Europe. Panellists included Stefan Wrobel (Fraunhofer IAIS), Gabriella Cattaneo (IDC), Wolfgang Treinen (DG Connect), Michael Beigl (KIT), Nuria De Lama (Atos), NESSI Summit 2014, Brussels.
- Session Chair, Towards a BIG Data Public Private Partnership, European Data Forum 2014 (EDF 2014)
- Session Chair, Putting Information to Work, International Workshop on Information and Communications Technology for Environmental Regulation 2013 (ICT4ER2013)
- Session Chair, Impact on Big and Open Data, European Data Forum 2013 (EDF 2013)
- Associate Editor, Green Information Systems Track, 21st European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2013)
- Session Chair, Green IS and Sustainability, 2012 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2012)
- Session Chair – Energy-Aware Systems and Technologies – 1st International Conference on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems (SMARTGREENS 2012)
- Organiser, Workshop on an AI Strategic Agenda for Europe, BDV PPP Summit, Riga, June 2019
- Co-chair and founder, with Daqing Zhang (Institut Mines-Telecom) and Umair ul Hassan (NUI Galway), International Workshop on Benchmarks for Ubiquitous Crowdsourcing: Metrics, Methodologies, and Datasets (CROWDBENCH 2015), at IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communication (IEEE PerCom 2016)
- Co-chair and founder, with Souleiman Hasan (NUI Galway), First Workshop on Variety of Big Data in Motion (BigVim), 2015 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2015)
- Co-Organizer, 1st Insight Workshop on Distributional Semantics 2014
- Co-Chair, 1st International Workshop on Cyber-Physical Systems and Agents (CyPhySyA 2013)
- Cloud Computing Track Chair, 22nd International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2013)
- Co-chair and co-founder, with E. Ridge, D. Kudenko, and D. Kazakov (University of York), First International Symposium on Nature-Inspired Systems for Parallel, Asynchronous and Decentralised Environments (NISPADE 2006)
- Doctoral symposium co-chair, with Enda Ridge (University of York), Workshop on Engineering Stochastic Local Search Algorithms 2007 (SLS 2007)
- Co-chair, with Jacques Mossière (INPG, France), Doctoral symposium, 6th International Middleware Conference (Middleware 2005)
- Co-chair and co-founder, with Enda Ridge, (University of York), First International Semantic Web Doctoral Symposium, 4th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2005)
- Co-chair and founder, with Doug Lea (Oswego State University, USA), First International Middleware Doctoral Symposium, 5th International Middleware Conference (Middleware 2004)
- IEEE Big Data Congress (IEEE BigData Congress 2017, 2018, 2019)
- 1st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Technology and Engineering Management Society (TEMSCON 2017)
- Practice-Oriented Research Track for ICIS 2016
- International Conference on Service Oriented Computing (ICSOC2016, 2017, 2018)
- 11th IEEE International Conference on Green Computing (GreenCom 2015)
- IEEE International Conference on Big Data (IEEE BigData 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- Fourth International Conference on Eco-friendly Computing and Communication Systems (ICECCS)
- European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2018)
- International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Pacific Asia Conference on Information Systems (PACIS 2015)
- Special Session on “Cyber-Physical Clouds” at the 2015 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC2015)
- 2nd International Workshop on Web Intelligence and Smart Sensing (IWWISS 2015)
- 1st Schema-Agnostic Queries, Semantic Web Challenge (SQA-2015) (ESWC 2015)
- 1st International Workshop on Summarizing and Presenting Entities and Ontologies (SumPre 2015)
- Tenth International Conference on Design Science Research in Information Systems and Technology (DESRIST 2015)
- 1st International Workshop on Big Data Software Engineering (BIGDSE’15)
- 9th International Conference on Complex, Intelligent, and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS-2015)
- IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Computing and Communication (IEEE SustainCom 2014, 2015)
- International Workshop on Knowledge Aware Service Oriented Applications (KASA 2014)
- 15th International Conference on Electronic Commerce and Web Technologies Conference (EC-Web 2014)
- International Workshop on PErsonalization in eGOVernment and Smart Cities: Smart Services for Smart Territories (PEGOV2013, PEGOV2014, PEGOV2015)
- International Workshop on Web Intelligence and Smart Sensing (IWWISS2014)
- Web Science Track, International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014, 2015, 2016)
- International Symposium on Theory of Computing, and Global Computing Models (TCGC-2014)
- 3rd International Conference on Data Management Technologies and Applications, Special Session on Open Environments and Open Innovation in public and private sector (OpenEI 2014)
- 1st International Workshop on Self-Organization for Green Computing and Communications (SO-Green 2013)
- 2nd International Symposium on Modelling and Knowledge Management for Sustainable Development (MoKMaSD 2013)
- First International IFIP Working Conference on Value-Driven Social Semantics & Collective Intelligence (VaSCo 2013)
- Second International Symposium on Intelligent Informatics (ISI’13)
- European Design Science Symposium 2012 (EDSS 2012)
- 2012 Business Intelligence Congress (BI Congress 3)
- Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 2014)
- International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2019)
- International Conference on Information Systems Development (ISD2012, 2013)
- Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS 2012, 2013)
- International Conference on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems (SMARTGREENS 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- International Conference on Cloud Computing and Services Science (CLOSER 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Workshop on Adaptive and Reflective Middleware (ARM 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Doctoral Conference on Computing, Electrical and Industrial Systems, (DoCEIS 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- International Workshop on Hybrid/Cloud computing Infrastructure For e-Science application (HCCIEA 2012, 2013, 2014)
- 1st International Workshop on Linked Data in Architecture and Construction (LDAC 2012)
- Guest Editor: Thematic Series on Smart Cities – Enabling Services and Applications, Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA) vol. 7, no 6. with Schahram Dustdar (Vienna University of Technology), Michael Sheng (University of Adelaide), and Amit Sheth (e.sis Center at Wright State University).
- Guest Editor: Special Issue on Nature-Inspired Systems for Parallel, Asynchronous and Decentralised Environments, Multi-Agent and Grid Systems, vol. 3, no. 1, 2007. with E. Ridge, D. Kudenko, and D. Kazakov (University of York)
In addition, I serve frequently as a reviewer for:
- ACM Transactions on Internet Technology
- ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality
- Ad Hoc Networks
- Automation in Construction
- Cluster Computing
- Communications of the ACM
- ETRI Journal
- European Journal of Information Systems
- Future Generation Computing Systems
- Government Information Quarterly (GIQ)
- IEEE Intelligent Systems
- IEEE Internet Computing
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal
- IEEE IT Professional
- IEEE Software
- IEEE Systems Journal
- IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing
- IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management
- Information Systems
- International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems (IJSWIS)
- Journal of Internet Services and Applications
- Journal of Environmental Informatics
- Journal of Hydroinformatics
- Journal of Web Semantics
- MISQ Executive
- Multi-Agent and Grid Systems
- Public Management Review
- Semantic Web Journal
- The Computer Journal
- Linking Enterprise Data – David Wood, Ed. Springer, 2010, ISBN:978-1-4419-7664-2
- Semantic Management of Middleware – Daniel Oberle Springer; 1st edition (December, 2005), ISBN: 0387276300
- Middleware for Communications – Qusay H. Mahmoud, Ed. John Wiley and Sons; 1st edition (June, 2004), ISBN: 0470862068
Research Funding Panels
Scientific evaluator of research proposals submitted to:
- Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation (CRIF).
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF).
- Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO) (Gravitation).
- The Research Council of Norway.
- External Expert for COST Association.
- Expert Evaluator for Vienna Business Agency (Shared Research Facilities).
- Expert Evaluator for Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
- Expert Evaluator for Enterprise Ireland Innovation Partnerships.
- Reviewer for Research Foundation Flanders (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek FWO).
- External evaluator for PhD Funding Programme (Dublin Institute of Technology).
Commissions of Trust
- Senior Executive Committee, Data Science Institute, 2019- Present.
- Member Insight @ NUI Galway Steering Committee, 2014 – Present. Participate as a member of the leadership team assisting in the definition of the Institute’s scientific goals and vision.
- Chair, Galway Research Staff Association, 2014 – 2015.
- Vice-chair, Galway Research Staff Association, 2009 – 2013.
- Member of University Research Committee, Sub-Committee to Academic Planning and Resource Committee (APRC), 2010 – 2014.
- University Strategic Plan 2015-2020 (Strategic Planning Research Subgroup 2014).
- The role of the Strategic Planning Research Subgroup is to identify strategic research and innovation priorities for 2015-2020 including new and emerging areas which will contribute to the research component of the University’s Strategic and Operational Plans 2015-2020.
- Member of University Research Risk Working Group, 2012.
- Member of DERI Institute Performance Self-Assessment Task Force, 2010.