- Member of DERI Institute Performance Self-Assessment Task Force, 2010.\
- Steering Committee, Insight Research Institute/Data Science Institute, 2010 – present\
- Member Insight @ NUI Galway Steering Committee, 2014 – Present. Participate as a member of the leadership team assisting in the definition of the Institute’s scientific goals and vision.
- Senior Executive Committee, Data Science Institute, 2019 – present
- Regularly serve on interview boards for PhD, Research Assistant, and Post Docs
School / College
- Programme Board M.Sc. Data Analytics, 2017 – present
- Programme Board M.Sc. Artificial Intelligence, 2019 – present
- Contributed a Case Study for the CoEI IRRP 2016 Submission
- Graduate Studies Committee. College of Science and Engineering, 2020 – present
- Member of University Research Committee, Sub-Committee to Academic Planning and Resource Committee (APRC), 2010 – 2014.
- Vice-chair, Galway Research Staff Association, 2009 – 2013.
- Chair, Galway Research Staff Association, 2014 – 2015.
- Member of University Research Risk Working Group, 2012.
- University Strategic Plan 2015-2020 (Strategic Planning Research Subgroup 2014).
- The role of the Strategic Planning Research Subgroup is to identify strategic research and innovation priorities for 2015-2020 including new and emerging areas which will contribute to the research component of the University’s Strategic and Operational Plans 2015-2020.
- Programme Board, BA (Arts with Data Science), 2018 – present
- External Examiner for Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology 2014-2018 on Higher Certificate in Information Technology Support, Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Administration and Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computer Services Management
- External Board Member for Programmatic Review, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology 2014
- External Accreditation Board Member for Software Development postgraduate courses, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology 2012
Professional / Industry / Wider Society
Research and Innovation Policy Papers
- Zillner, S., Bisset, D., García Robles, A., Hahn, T., Lafrenz, R., Liepert, B. and Curry, E.. Eds. (2019). “Strategic Research, Innovation, & Deployment Agenda for an AI PPP: A Focal Point for Collaboration on AI, Data and Robotics”. BDVA-euRobotics. 2019.
- Bisset, D., Curry, E., García-Robles, A., Hahn, T., Lafrenz, R., Liepert, B., & Zillner, S. Eds. (2019). “Joint Vision Paper for an Artificial Intelligence Public Private Partnership (AI PPP) BDVA – euRobotics”. BDVA-euRobotics. 2019.
- Zillner, S., Gomez, J. A., García Robles, A., & Curry, E. Eds. “Data-Driven Artificial Intelligence for European Economic Competitiveness and Societal Progress: BDVA Position Statement”. BDVA. 2018.
- Senior Editor on the BDVA AI paper “Data-Driven Artificial Intelligence for European Economic Competitiveness and Societal Progress” which was referenced in the European Commission’s Communication on the Coordinated Plan on Artificial Intelligence, specifically highlighting the need for a European AI Public-Private Partnership.
- Curry, E., Zillner, S., & García-Robles, A. Eds. “Future Challenges for European Leadership in the Global Data Economy and Data-Driven Society: Input to Framework Programme 9”. BDVA. 2018.
- Lead author on the BDVA position paper for FP 9 which was referenced by the European Parliament Policy Department for Economic, Scientific and Quality of Life Policies in their “European Artificial Intelligence (AI) leadership, the path for an integrated vision” report. This report was requested by the Industry, Research and Energy ITRE Committee to feed into the general debate on how Europe could seize the opportunity of progress made in AI.
- M. Cavanillas, E. Curry, and W. Wahlster, (Eds.), “New Horizons for a Data-Driven Economy: A Roadmap for Usage and Exploitation of Big Data in Europe”. Springer International Publishing, 2016.
- Policy influence for UK Government Department of Transport https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/639027/big-data-transport-scoping-study.pdf
- Zillner, E. Curry, A. Metzger, & S. Auer, Eds., “European Big Data Value Strategic Research & Innovation Agenda”, BDVA, 2015.
- Member of the core team for the Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) on Big Data Value. The SRIA resulted in a proposal for a contractual Public-Private Partnership (cPPP) for Big Data Value.
- Primary contributor team for the cPPP proposal on Big Data Value. The proposal details an H2020 work programme on Big Data for the period 2016-to-2020 with a budget of €1.068B.
Research and Innovation Policy Activities
- Data Ecosystem Expert for “Workshop on Digitalisation of Manufacturing”, Strategic Policy Division, Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Oct 2017.
- “Realising the Digital Economy – Enterprise Opportunities”, roundtable discussion jointly co-hosted by the Department of the Taoiseach and the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, May 2017.
- “European Big Data Ecosystem” to Roundtable on Industrial Data Platforms by invitation Gunther Oettinger, European Commissioner for Digital Economy and Society, Brussels, 17th Feb 2016.
- Representative for Ireland on behalf of Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation at “Member States’ workshop on Data Economy” hosted by European Commission, Luxembourg, November 2015.
- “Irelands Role in Driving the Big Data PPP”, Big Data Task Force Meeting, Strategic Policy Unit, Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation, Nov 2014.
- 2014-present, Board of Directors of Big Data Value Association (BDVA). The BDVA represents the ‘private’ side of the Public-Private Partnership on Big Data with the European Commission with a budget of €1.068B.
- Member of the European Marine Board (EMB) Expert working group on Big Data in Marine Science 2019-Current