Supervision of PhD Students
- Tarek Zaarour, “Distributed Event Processing”, since 2017.
- Atiya Usmani, “Decentralised Entity Management”, since 2019.
- Muhammad Jaleed Khan, “Multispectral Event Processing” since 2020.
- Felipe Arruda, “Energy- and Speed-Aware Self-Adaptive Scheduler for Deep Learning Models for Multimedia Event Processing on the Cloud-Edge”, M.Sc Computer Science (by Research), since 2021.
- Dr. Niki Pavlopoulou, “Entity Summarisation for Entity-centric Publish/Subscribe Systems Approximate Event Processing”, PhD, Insight, NUI Galway. Funded by European Commission & Science Foundation Ireland. Examiner: Prof. Payam Barnaghi, Imperial College London. Graduated 2021.
- Dr. Asra Aslam, “Detecting Seen/Unseen Objects with Reducing Response Time for Multimedia Event Processing”, PhD, Insight, NUI Galway. Funded by Science Foundation Ireland. Examiner: Prof. Flavia Delicato, Fluminense Federal University. Graduated 2021.
- Dr. Piyush Yadav, “Query-Aware Adaptive Windowing for Spatiotemporal Complex Video Event Processing for Internet of Multimedia Things”, PhD, Lero, NUI Galway. Funded by Science Foundation Ireland. Examiner: Prof. Giancarlo Fortino, University of Calabria. Graduated 2021. Now PostDoc Insight.
- Dr Javier Cuenca, “A Methodology for Designing Layered Ontology Structures”, Mondragon University (ES), Co-Supervisor (Primary Supervisor Dr Felix Larrinaga), Graduated 2020 Cum Laude.
- Dr Wassim Derguech, “Capability-centric Management of Services and Business Process Models”, PhD, Insight, NUI Galway. Funded by Science Foundation Ireland, Primary Supervisor (co-supervisor Dr Sami Bhiri). Examiner: Prof. Jan Mendling, WU Vienna. Graduated 2017. Now spin-out Derilinx
- Dr Umair ul Hassan, “Capability-centric Task Routing in Heterogeneous Human Computation”, Examiner: Prof. Seng Loke, La Trobe University. Graduated 2016. Now Research Fellow, Insight.
- Dr Feng Gao, “Efficient and Effective Management of Complex Event Service Life Cycle”, Primary Supervisor (co-supervisor Dr Allesandra Mileo). Examiner: Dr Payam Barnaghi, University of Surrey. Graduated 2016. Now Lecturer, Wuhan University of Science and Technology.
- Dr Souleiman Hasan, “Event Processing Systems for Open Heterogeneous Environments”. Examiner: Prof. Gordon Blair, Lancaster University. Graduated 2016. Now Lecturer, Maynooth University.
- Dr André Freitas, “Schema-Agnostic Queries for Large-Schema Databases: A Distributional Semantics Approach”, Examiner: Dr Christopher Brewster, Aston University. Graduated 2015. Now Lecturer, The University of Manchester.
Supervision of M.Sc by Research Students
- Felipe Arruda, “Energy- and Speed-Aware Self-Adaptive Scheduler for Deep Learning Models for Multimedia Event Processing on the Cloud-Edge”, M.Sc Computer Science (by Research), 2020.
- Agustín García Pereira, “Data Acquisition and Processing for GeoAI Models to Support Sustainable Agricultural Practices”, M.Sc Computer Science (by Research), Co-Supervisor (Primary Supervisor Dr Adeboyega Ojo). (Published full papers at AICS 2019, HICSS 2020, HICSS 2021).
- Maciej Janowski, “Automated Story Generation from Linked Open Statistical Data Cubes”, M.Sc Computer Science (by Research), Co-Supervisor (Primary Supervisor Dr Adeboyega Ojo), 2019 (Published full paper at ICEGOV2019)
- Cathal McCosker, “A Digital Game Based Learning Approach to Language Learning”, co-supervisor with Tony Hall, M.Litt. (Educational Technology) by Research graduated: 2009. (Assistant Lecturer at Keimyung University, Daegu) Examiner: Dr Cornelia Connolly, DKIT. (Published full papers at National EdTech Conference)
Supervision of Taught M.Sc (Minor Thesis) Students
I have supervised minor M.Sc theses at NUI Galway and University College Dublin. Many of the dissertations have resulted in publications and/or produced software components used in technology platforms developed by industrial partners or my research team. Some examples include:
- Clitton Tauro, “Shared Bicycle Demand Prediction”, M.Sc Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
- Sashwanth Sanjeev Kumar Sharma, “A Comparative Study of Convolution Neural Networks and Deep Learning Optimizers for Plant Weed Detection”, M.Sc Artificial Intelligence, 2021.
- Kollapudi Nagendra Dheeraj, “A Comparative Study of Machine Learning and Deep Learning Approaches for Renewable Energy Predictions based on Weather Data”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2021.
- Narae Kim, “Data-driven Artificial Intelligence based Building Energy Consumption Prediction”, M.Sc Artificial Intelligence Online, 2020/2021.
- Aayushi Sangal, “Object Detection: Base of Image Segmentation in Autonomous Driving”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2020.
- Aishwarya Sihare, “Image Captioning using Deep Learning Techniques to Assist the Visually Impaired People”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2020.
- Indeep Singh, “Sound Classification using Deep Learning in Urban Acoustic Environment”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2020.
- Jamie O’Halloran, “Human Activity Recognition using Deep Learning”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2019. (Published full paper at ACIS 2019)
- Protim Ganguly, “Approximate Semantic Matching of Events using Word Embeddings”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2019
- Poojitha Vishukumar, “Prediction of Dublin Bike Sharing System”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2019
- Liam McDermott, “Anomaly detection in streaming time-series data”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2018 (Project collaboration with Avaya)
- Nick Tosh, “Principal Component Analysis of the Global History Databank”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2018 (Published at PNAS)
- Ninad Arabekar, “Online Source Selection for Real-Time Stream Analytics”, M.Sc Data Analytics, 2018 (Published book chapter)
- Arun Kunnumpurath, “Development of an online decision support tool (DST) for hydrogen energy storage investments”, M.Sc Data Analytics, Co-Supervisor (Primary Supervisor Dr Rory Monaghan), Expected 2018 (Project collaboration with Boston Scientific)
- Éanna Burke, “Real-Time Autonomic Prediction Algorithms for the Sensor Web”, M.Sc Computer Science (by Research), co-supervisor with Hugh Melvin. Graduated 2013 (Now working in IBM Research) (contributed to UIC publication )
- Gerard Keyes, “A Study of the Dynamic Distribution Population in Ireland using Mobile Telephony and Social Media”, Primary Thesis Supervisor. Graduated 2016. (Project collaboration with Eir)
- Declan Joyce, “An investigation into a selection of health check utility reports to assist Database Administrators” Primary Thesis Supervisor. Graduated 2011. (Project collaboration with IBM)
- Fergal Hegarty, “A Study to Research, Design and Develop Administrative Improvements for the Apache Tomcat 6 Web/Application Server”, Primary Thesis Supervisor. Graduated 2011
- Dr Amin Anjomshoaa, Marie-Curie Fellow
- Dr Maarten Piso
- Dr Umair ul Hassan
- Dr Zhiyuan Zheng
- Dr Wassim Derguech
- Dr Viktoriya Degeler
- Dr Souleiman Hasan
- Dr Willem Fabritius
- Praneet Dhingra
- Dhaval Salwala
- Edobor Osagie
- Arkadiusz Stasiewicz
- Dmitry Shingarev
- Milena Caires